By Pete Goodliffe
If you're enthusiastic about programming and wish to get well at it, you've come to the suitable resource. Code Craft writer Pete Goodliffe offers a set of invaluable suggestions and techniques to the artwork and craft of programming that may support enhance your profession and your well-being.
Goodliffe offers sound suggestion that he's discovered in 15 years programming. The book's standalone chapters span the variety of a software program developer's life—dealing with code, studying the alternate, and enhancing performance—with no language or bias. even if you're a pro developer, a neophyte specialist, or a hobbyist, you'll locate helpful information in 5 self reliant categories:
- Code-level innovations for crafting traces of code, trying out, debugging, and dealing with complexity
- Practices, methods, and attitudes: retain it uncomplicated, collaborate good, reuse, and create malleable code
- strategies for studying successfully, behaving ethically, discovering, and keeping off stagnation
- sensible how you can entire issues: use the ideal instruments, recognize what "done" seems like, and search support from colleagues
- behavior for operating good with others, and pursuing improvement as a social job
Read or Download Becoming a Better Programmer: A Handbook for People Who Care About Code PDF
Best programming books
The NetBeans Platform is the world's in basic terms modular Swing program framework, utilized by very huge agencies in mission-critical situations, reminiscent of at Boeing and Northrop Grumman, in addition to within the monetary quarter and within the oil/gas undefined. For those huge consumers in organisations who're more and more attracted to Maven and OSGi, the e-book can have specific relevance.
The Definitive consultant to NetBeans™ Platform 7 is a radical and authoritative advent to the open-source NetBeans Platform, overlaying all its significant APIs intimately, with proper code examples used all through.
• offers a totally up to date definitive consultant to the NetBeans Platform, utilizing the newest APIs, coding styles, and methodologies.
• Focuses strongly on company positive factors in an program, when you consider that Oracle's buyers are quite attracted to business-related facets. for instance, easy methods to use OSGi, easy methods to upload authentication/security, how you can monetize from a modular software.
The unique German e-book on which this name is predicated used to be good obtained. The NetBeans Platform neighborhood has prepare this English translation, which covers the most recent NetBeans Platform 7 APIs. With an advent by means of identified NetBeans Platform specialists Jaroslav Tulach and Tim Boudreau, this can be the main up to date ebook in this subject in the meanwhile.
All NetBeans Platform builders will achieve anything from this ebook, simply because numerous issues within the publication haven't been documented at any place else.
<h3>What you’ll learn</h3> • find out how to start utilizing the NetBeans Platform without or with utilizing NetBeans IDE.
• how one can organize a modular software, utilizing both Ant or Maven as a construct method.
• the way to get conversant in the entire NetBeans Platform's APIs.
• the way to paintings with the visible Library as a really well known and strong widget library, overlaying all its good points intimately.
• the best way to version an program in OSGi/EMF and utilizing the version in an software at the NetBeans Platform.
• the way to distribute a modular program, targeting diverse thoughts for monetizing from its modular structure.
<h3>Who this ebook is for</h3>
The Definitive consultant to NetBeans™ Platform 7 is for giant organizations who're no longer attracted to reinventing the wheel each time they convey a brand new purposes, and open resource groups who ordinarily reap the benefits of a modular structure, simply because a plugin method (as supplied through the NetBeans Platform) simplifies how contributions might be made to a project.
<h3>Table of Contents</h3><ol> • creation
• constitution of the NetBeans Platform
• The NetBeans Module method
• The OSGi Framework
• search for suggestion
• information and documents
• advice and tips
• Menubar and Toolbar
• Window method
• Statusbar and Progressbar
• Nodes and Explorer
• Dialogs and Wizards
• visible Library
• suggestions and tips
• aid process
• Output Window
• ideas and Settings
• Palette API
• Tasklist API
• fast seek API
• automobile replace prone API
• Java DB
• Java patience API
• MySQL and EclipseLink
• net companies
• Java Beans (JEE)
• RESTful internet providers
• Authentication and Multi-User Login
• Internalization and Localization
• Branding and Packaging
• replace of a NetBeans Platform software
• Maven and the NetBeans Platform
• Eclipse IDE and the NetBeans Platform
• From Eclipse to NetBeans
• IntelliJ thought and the NetBeans Platform
• NetBeans Swing GUI Builder
• trying out NetBeans Platform purposes
• Debugging with the NetBeans DIE
• MP3 supervisor
Remedy real-life programming issues of a fragment of the code that natural object-oriented programming calls for. Use Scala and Clojure to resolve in-depth issues of units of styles: object-oriented styles that develop into extra concise with practical programming, and natively practical styles.
Considering the fact that 1995, while the SPIN workshop sequence was once instigated, SPIN workshops were hung on an annual foundation in Montr´ eal (1995), New Brunswick (1996), Enschede (1997), Paris (1998), Trento (1999), Toulouse (1999), Stanford (2000), Toronto (2001), Grenoble (2002) and Portland (2003). All however the ? rst SPIN workshop have been geared up as satellite tv for pc occasions of bigger meetings, specifically of CAV (1996), TACAS (1997), FORTE/PSTV (1998), FLOC (1999), the area Congress on Formal equipment (1999), FMOODS (2000), ICSE (2001, 2003) and ETAPS (2002).
- Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs
- Concurrent Programming in Mac OS X and iOS: Unleash Multicore Performance with Grand Central Dispatch
- Programming Languages and Systems: 17th European Symposium on Programming, ESOP 2008, Held as Part of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2008, Budapest, Hungary, March 29-April 6, 2008. Proceedings
- A Structured Programming Approach to Data
- BYTE Magazine, Volume 1: Issue 4 (December 1975)
- Advanced Computer Architecture: Parallelism, Scalability, Programmability (2nd Edition)
Additional resources for Becoming a Better Programmer: A Handbook for People Who Care About Code
Something like: • It was a fun bit of extra code, and the programmer wanted to write it. ) • Someone thought it was a feature that would be needed in the future, so decided to code it now, whilst they thought about it. (Hint: That isn’t YAGNI. ) • But it was only a small thing; not a massive “extra” feature. It was easier to just implement it now, rather than go back to the customer to see whether it was really required. (Hint: It always takes longer to write and to maintain extra code. And the customer is actually quite approachable.
Sloppy. The sin is compounded when the code is pasted with minor changes. When you duplicate code, you hide the repeated structure, and you copy all of the existing bugs. Even if you repair one instance of the code, there will be a queue of identical bugs ready to bite you another day. Refactor duplicated code sections into a single function. If there are similar code sections with slight differences, capture the differences in one function with a configuration parameter. KEY ➤ Do not copy code sections.
See also • Improve Code by Removing It Describes techniques for identifying larger sections of redundant, dead code and removing it. 2. Robert C. Martin, Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008). Chapter 3: Write Less Code! | 27 Try this…. For the next few days, look at your code critically to identify any redundant, duplicated, or long-winded sections. Work on removing this unnecessary code. 28 | Chapter 3: Write Less Code! CHAPTER 4 Improve Code by Removing It We ascribe beauty to that which is simple; which has no superfluous parts; which exactly answers its end...